Halloween is just around the corner and everybody here at Austin and Kat is getting ready for a frightfully good time. Not so much Austin and the rest of our extended four-legged family. For them, Halloween can really be more of a trick than a treat if we’re not careful.
We can only imagine, right? Suddenly the world is filled with strange sounds and stranger sights, and it’s all just a little much. But Halloween doesn’t have leave anyone’s fur standing on end. Here are four simple steps we use to keep our pets safe and happy when the ghosts come out to play.
First things first and something always worth repeating: keep the candy away. Most pet people know chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, but did you know that the sweetener xylitol can be, too? Same for raisins, macadamia nuts, and salty snacks. So always stash the booty where eager noses can’t reach.
Ditto the decorations. Pumpkins and corn aren’t poisonous, but those cobs can cause scary blockages. And moldy pumpkins lead to the kind of stomach upset that’s a horror all by itself. (We’ve all been there!) Lit jack-o-lanterns, electric cords, and the batteries in Halloween toys are hazards, too. And though they’re non-toxic, add glowsticks to the list—pets are always sorry when they bite into those.
Don’t leave your pups outside on Halloween. They’re happier indoors, hopefully well away from the doorbell in a contained space if you can manage it. Any place where the noise and confusion barely register is perfect.
Whatever you do, make sure your pet is wearing ID and/or has a microchip. With all of the terrifying noises and unsettling commotion, Halloween is prime time for runaways as startled pets bolt for safer territory. ID will help them get back home so they can enjoy the roast turkey scraps that are coming in a few weeks!
Finally, if your pet reacts poorly to Halloween’s chills no matter what you do, a little CBD might help calm anxious nerves. That’s the kind of Halloween treat they’ll always appreciate.