A Handy How-To Guide for CBD Oil Dosage
WHICH CBD OIL?
CBD oil for pets usually comes mixed with a few other ingredients to help make it more palatable and nutritious. We have two varieties, both made with the purest and most locally sourced ingredients.
Our 100mg and 300mg oils contain three ingredients: hemp seed oil, wild Alaskan salmon oil, and naturally occurring, broad-spectrum CBD extract. We have found that salmon oil makes the CBD extra tasty for cats or dogs that are especially picky.
Our 600mg, 1200mg and 2400mg are made with just two ingredients: USDA certified organic MCT coconut oil and naturally occurring, broad-spectrum CBD extract.
WHICH SIZE SHOULD I BUY?
CBD Oil comes in all sizes and concentrations. At Austin and Kat, we have five sizes available, to make dosing easier for each size of pet and, though the bottles are all the same size, they all contain different concentrations of CBD.
- 100mg bottle is used for smaller dogs (usually under 40 lbs) and for cats.
- 300mg bottle is used for larger dogs (from 40-100 lbs) or dogs who are using CBD more frequently.
- 600mg bottle is for extra large dogs (>100 lbs) or those having harder to treat conditions.
- 1200mg bottle is for horses or dogs needing the highest dose of CBD.
- 2400mg bottle is mainly for horses, or any other larger pet - as long as they're a mammal! (We've heard the 1200mg and 2400mg are great for the dog parents too!)
HOW MUCH CBD SHOULD I GIVE?
We generally advise giving a dose of 1-2 mg of CBD per 10 lbs of bodyweight to start for dogs and cats (see this post for horses). Austin, for example, is a totally crazy 50 pound lab and would have a starting serving of 5mg of CBD and can increase to 10mg if 5mg is not effective. Each dropper has a measured and marked dropper pipette, and holds 1 mL of oil total. But how much CBD is in each dropper-full?
- For the 100mg bottle, 1 mL of oil contains 3.3 mg of CBD
- Ex: a 15 pound cat would need 1.5mg CBD (about 0.5 mL of oil)
- For the 300mg bottle, 1 mL contains 10 mg of CBD
- Ex: Austin, our resident 50 lb dog, would use 0.5 mL (half of dropper) of oil.
- For the 600mg bottle, 1mL contains 20mg of CBD
- Ex: Bruce, a 150 lb great dane would use 0.75 mL (3/4 of dropper) of oil
- For the 1200mg bottle, 1mL contains 40mg of CBD
- For the 2400mg bottle, 1mL contains 80mg of CBD
The good news? A little less, or even a little more oil won’t do any harm. Dosing can easily remain approximate until you’re able to find what works best for your pet. It takes about 15-45 minutes to reach full-effect in your pet’s system, and for about 4 - 8 hours, depending on breed, ailments, activity level, and their own personal chemistry.
HOW DO I USE THE OIL?
To use, most people will drop the oil into their pet’s food bowl and mix it with a little bit of their food. Some pets like the taste of the oil so much, they’ll lick it straight out of a bowl! Though it may be easy, we don’t necessarily recommend giving your pet the oil sublingually - the dropper is medical-grade and made of glass.
We recommend mixing the oil with a quarter of their food and giving it to your pet, and then 30 minutes later, feeding them the rest of their meal. We've found that the CBD oil absorbs best when not taken on a full stomach. See how they respond throughout the day and do the same process in the evening. Try that for a week and feel free to increase the dosing size until your pet responds favorably.
Every pet is different so play around with how you give the oil to your furry friend. As long as the oil is working to help them be more comfortable and happy, that's all that really matters.
Check out our full range of oils and feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions.